Tuesday, October 25, 2016

I'm tired of being the bug...

....I want to be the windshield/windscreen!  Was going to assemble some of the parts on the differential this morning after I put the cover on it, however it became very apparent that the new rotors wouldn't work.  I took a picture of them to try to show the differences but it comes down to the difference in location of the 'access' holes. The new ones do not line up with the holes for the bolts.  Will clean up the old ones unless SNG has some bright ideas and use them.  Next I had to hone out the inside diameter of the oil seal race to get it to fit on the axle shaft. This got me a sharp whack on the  wrist from the hone but I got it to fit.

A couple of bright spots in the day, got the brakes parts from White post today and they look very nice, helped Terry T. with his carbs and they seemed to be working well when we were done.



Show how far off the access holes are for the caliper bolts, can't use a socket on the bolts even if I can get the bolts started.

Installing the axle shaft in the hub, the bearings are greased and will press the axle into the hub

Rebuilt caliper pistons, ready to install.
A couple of caveats for the day, the metal for the grease seal race on the hub is very soft so be very careful with them, it is 'impossible' to replace the grease slingers on the hub axles. I removed them so that I could pull the bearing off the axle shaft thinking that I could just press them back on-can't do it as they are 'pined' in place.  As best I ca tell they aren't mandatory and won't affect the function or safety of the axle.


Cheers.



5.5 hrs  



3 comments:

  1. What a bummer. :-( Will SNG take the rotors back? They need to provide the proper replacements. The caliper piston shells look nice. Did you get them replated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drew,
      SNG has been really good about backing their stuff up, it's just the hassle of packing it up and sending it back. The caliper pistons were pretty rough and they did the whole thing including the nice finish.

      Delete
  2. The calipers look great. Glad to hear White Post got you fixed up. That's where I am going to send mine when the time comes. Got my middle carb back in today, fired up the car and did my best to tune the carbs properly. I think I am getting better at setting the lean/rich mixture properly. Ruby is idling at 600 rpm and is mostly smooth so I'll test her again tomorrow and see if everything is the same.

    ReplyDelete