Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Tearing the IRS down

Today was spent disassembling the right side of the IRS.  Recall that this was started because we saw the brake rotor which was covered in some sort of fluid, either brake fluid or differential oil.  After I removed the brake caliper and inspected it for leaks I've come to the conclusion that the slop on the brake rotor was 90 wt gear oil from the differential.  

Todays pictures chronicle the tear down of the sub-components of the rear suspension,  tomorrow I'll start the tear down of the other side of the unit. 

Stand that I made to support the hub for pressing out the stub axle, will replace the seals and re-grease the bearings if they look OK once their cleaned

12 Ton press used to push out the stub axle seen below



Pulling the bearing off the stub axle to get to the seal 


The brake caliper was supposed to come right out, unfortunately the caliper has to be disassembled to allow it to com out the 'port hole'.


Decided to remove the remnants of the bushings from the control arms, they are pressed in and often rusted into one piece, when this happens the metal shell has to be cut to make it so it can be driven out, but one has to be very careful not to cut the control arm

Driving the metal sleeve out 

second cut to get it so it would fold in on itself

Finally 'dropped' out

Now the same thing on the little end


the two bushes, will clean up the control arm, paint it and press in the new bushes 

This shot is for Drew :-)

Well, that concludes todays adventures.  Need to continue the disassembly of the left side and order some parts. Lot's of parts cleaning in my future :-(
Cheers

6hr

6 comments:

  1. For me? Thanks! Still too nice and clean as is the cardboard as well. Hard work getting those bushing sleeves out. I'm afraid I'm about to find that out myself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drew, Those bushing sleeves are a pain in the hind end, when I did my '68 years ago I snuck around this nasty task by purchasing new control arms with the bushings already installed. What I found yesterday was that it wasn't as bad as I thought particularly if you realize you'r going to have to make two cuts to be able to 'fold' it in on itself.
    Cheers, and tanks for looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, funny how your removal of the bushes is exactly what I had to do the first time mine came out. Should be added as a recommended technique! Once you know it's OK, it's not that hard. Who knew a Sawzall would be a required E-Type tool?

    Nice that subsequent times it was not a problem. Be sure to use anti-sieze, not just grease in re-assembly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jerry, Anti-sieze is my friend! Or at least the friend of the next caretaker. Thought about using the sawzall but took it real slow so I could make sure I wasn't gettin close to important stuff ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn,

    The sawzall was to cut the rubber -- hacksaw and much care for the rings -- like you did.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha, I used my drill and went around the rubber portion but a sawzall would have been better.
      Cheers,
      Lynn

      Delete