Monday, October 3, 2016

Back in the breach... or perhaps back from the beach...

We returned home from the California Coastal Oil Leak last Tuesday covering ~2700 miles, not the record as Drew and Mary Scherz drove from Austin Texas and covered close to 5000 miles.  The tour was incredible with beautiful scenery, great people, twisty roads and good food! Maybe next year Michelle and RJ will want to join us? (How's that for a lead in?)

Back in the day the day shops figured 6 hours to drop the IRS on one of these cars and I got it down in 4 :-)  Once again I wish I had a steam cleaner so I could just get the crap off of it.  This is very likely the first time this unit has been out of the car so fewer bodges except for where some doofus decided to cut the IRS cage on the back.  I haven't a clue why they did that unless they thought it would make it easier to get to the fill plug on the differential, completely unnecessary with the right tool, an 8 point socket!

This is the forward control arm, these have a rubber bushing that has a metal cap that is typically fused to the mount by years of rust and this car was no exception!


Well, this is a blurry view of the control arm.  The rubber had to be cut out so that I could get to the cap attached to the body, I used a drill to cut the perished rubber than prised it down.  What I didn't take pictures of was cutting the cap loose from the body.  When this goes back on there will be plenty of anti-seize on it so the next person doesn't have to chisel it off.

Supporting the IRS and getting ready to lower the unit

Down!  

Years of crud, if you look closely you can see the rotor on the right is coated with brake fluid






After about 2 hours of scraping and brushing and vacuuming. Doesn't look much different does it? 


Now if you've stuck around this long here is a little treat for you, turn off your volume as there is a lot of wind noise but here are a couple of videos from the trip

1 comment:

  1. Geez, Lynn, you dropped the IRS already? You are making me look slow. I washed Ruby today and started compiling a list of parts I need to order, and that was it. I'll keep watching to see how your IRS work goes. I need to do mine.

    ReplyDelete