Monday, October 10, 2016

IRS/NSX

Hi Folks, had a great weekend.  We joined some friends for breakfast at the Caldwell Airport on Saturday.  One of the folks drove his 1991Acura NSX, this is one of the few super cars from the 90's that I would love to have.  Brad gave me a ride in it and he popped my neck with every gear change!  Redline is at 8K! Very nice car that Brad has maintained at a very high level, the car looked like a new car.

Today was a cleaning day and expect that most of the week will be spent getting parts cleaned and ready for reassembly.


Bottom plate for cage, this had been damaged by folks who jacked up the car without taking precautions to protect it.  I had to straighten it up and weld up a tear in the steel 

Finished and painted

Differential during the cleaning

Took a break and disassembled the calipers, they would have leaked as soon as we tried to use them, the following pictures show the crud in the calipers, doubt you can see the corrosion that has damaged the inside of the calipers. We will need to either get them re-sleeved or replaced




Cleaned and ready to disassemble for new seals....


Cheers.


7hr

2 comments:

  1. Lynn, Looking good! When I get my IRS out and the brakes off I will definitely have the calipers resleeved. Are you guys going to use brass or stainless? Also, what did you use to clean off the grease? I have used gas, kerosene, paint thinner and similar cleaners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning Drew,
      The two places that I looked at were Apple Hydraulic's and White Post Restorations and it looked like you didn't get a choice as they only mentioned brass. From what I know brass is supposed to be a very good way to go and considerably cheaper than SS.
      With regards to the cleaning, I used everything I had in the house, simple green, Dawn detergent and finally gas (outside). After that I washed it with dawn and rinsed it well. One thing I'd recommend if you can, once you have the IRS out, load it in the back of a pickup and take it down to your local spray and wash and hose it down good to get the big stuff off of it. I did this with my 68 and it was a lot easier to clean.
      Cheers, and as always thanks for looking

      Delete