Tuesday, October 18, 2016

You know what....

I did today ;-)  Cleaning the other side IRS components, it's like a friend of mine used to say "it feels so good when it stops hurting you want to do it all over again".  Disassembled the upper control arm and noticed that Drew was correct when he said that he thought the U joints might have plugs instead of zerks.  I poked around and discovered that they do indeed have a plug.  On the other hand, not sure they were ever greased as the roller bearings were dry and just fell out like the autumn rain we got today.




The parts awaiting a nice day to paint them, should start reassembly soon.
Still need to pull out the driveline, clean it up and replace it's U joints since it isn't accessible with out dropping the IRS or pulling the engine.

Cheers.



7.5 hrs

4 comments:

  1. Looking good! This IRS is getting more beautiful every day. And I see some original Cheney clamps holding those half shaft covers in place. When it's all back together and lubed up this rebuild will add decades to its performance and lifetime. Do you remove the u-joints yourself? I never could get my driveshaft u-joints apart. The cost at a place here in Austin to replace them and balance the shaft wasn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Drew, Thanks, Yup, their Cheney clamps. I had initially thought that the IRS hadn't been tampered with but there are indications that it has been manhandled as in peened over bolts that had been driven through the shims and so forth. Will be replacing the hub/fulcrum shaft bearings as they were badly etched from corrosion.
    The trick to removing the U joints is to have the right tools (press and sockets of the right size) and to make sure one isn't pressing them out against the shoulder for the zerk.
    Cheers,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a press yet, Lynn. I was hoping to add one to my expanded garage, but construction costs have gone up so much around here that I may not be able to do it. Our first bids were double what I had hoped. I can do the IRS without the new garage though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drew,
      Sorry to hear that your garage addition may be on hold, hope you can find a contractor that can help. The press is very useful, a large vise takes almost as much floor space and isn't as good (IMO) for the tasks such as pushing in bushings and so forth. The HF 12 ton has been adequate for all of my tasks thus far. When it seems like it's nearing it's max force I'll stop and check 'cause usually some thing isn't aligned properly and needs adjusting to get it to release....
      Cheers,
      Lynn

      Delete