Tuesday, October 4, 2016

With a little help from my friends....


Today was just a half day as I had a dental appointment this morning:-(  

Worked on disassembly this afternoon and had my buddy Terry T. drop by for a little while, he provided some much needed stability and we were able to get the hub off on the passenger side.  Still can't tell if it's the caliper or the differential that is leaking all over the rotor but beginning to think it's the differential seal.  Tomorrow I'll have the caliper off and able to closely inspect it for leaks.

Picture of the hub after it's been removed, they used a lock type substance at the factory between the hub and the shaft so these are notoriously difficult to remove and require the 'Churchill' tool that is in the left upper corner.  It threads on the hub and the threaded'T' handle is used to push the shaft out. 

The parts as they have been removed, shocks look 'iffy'

From the backside showing half of the assembly laying on the floor in front of the cage.

Thanks for the help Terry,
Cheers

4 comments:

  1. Oh good. This looks nice and messy so you must be human after all. Still doesn't look half as messy as it would on my garage floor as the dirt and grunge would fan out to all reaches of the garage. Where did you get the Churchill tool? Are you going to paint the cage or leave it as is? Please post pictures of leaking fluids and maybe one of you covered in grease so I won't feel so incompetent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drew,
      Your right, it's really messy, in fact the first picture shows the brush and dust pan ;-)
      I bought the Churchill tool from John Farrell about 14-15 years ago, it's a really nicely crafted tool as usual from John Farrell.
      I'm planning on welding up the cuts in the cage and then painting it. I had the one in my '68 powder coated which was way overkill especially since no one will ever see it.
      Cheers,
      Lynn

      Delete
    2. Nice purchase of the Churchill tool. I am very tempted to drop my IRS for cleaning and to rebuild the brake calipers. I will avoid taking the hubs off if the seals are intact.

      Delete
    3. Just let me know if you need to borrow it Drew, I can ship out there if you need it. As you know John Farrell is an excellent resource for us.

      Delete