Thursday, October 13, 2016

The right tool....



...for the right job.  Didn't get a lot done today but made an executive decision on the Dunlop calipers and it was very tiring;-)  Michelle, we had the choice of ordering new from SNG or re-built from either Apple Hydraulics or White Post restorations.  New calipers were 4 X$130, A.H. would do them for $100 and WPR would do them for $85.  I have heard good things about all three but price won the day.

We got a parts order from SNG today so was able to put some things back together, this is what's fun, not the cleaning stuff but you can't get to this point without some 'pain'.
I don't know how much this thing weights but it was all I could do to get it up on my counter to be able to work on it.  Tomorrow I'll work up my courage to try to replace the seals and gaskets on this differential.

This is what the title is about, I was dreading pushing these bushings back in but with a lot of help from my 12 ton press and copper anti-seize this job was 'easy'.  This is the picture of the large bushing and note the orientation of the holes.

Small bushing end, used a large socket underneath and a smaller one on top to push the bushing into the radius arm

One of the two indispensable tools, large sockets are necessary not only for wrenching but also for holding pieces and as spacers  

My 12 ton press, if I were doing it over I might get the somewhat more expensive 20 ton unit.  Very handy tool for working on this kind of stuff.

Cleaned the caliper parts and sent the cylinders off to White post today



That's it for today.
Cheers,




2 hrs

No comments:

Post a Comment