Wednesday, October 12, 2016

More of the same...

....another cleaning day ;-)  Well, I've got the right side disassembled and cleaned-hurrah!
The weather is supposed to turn nasty tomorrow so I wanted to get as much of this stuff cleaned and painted as possible, we had our first frost last night so took an extended lunch break to get the camper winterized.  After that went to our FLAPS and bought some supplies for RJ, grease, cleaner, some electrical stuff to put a relay and circuit breaker in for his fans.  Going to follow Drew's setup which he shared with me on the oil leak tour last month.


Drive shaft, had hoped to re-use the U-joints but they were dry and I was unable to save the seals during removal

Of interest and possible explanation of why they were dry, who ever did this job last left out the grease zerks.



Lower control arm ready for paint

Axle assembly cleaned and ready for paint

Hardware cleanned.
It will be fun to start the re-assembly with clean and painted parts, need to put together another SNG order-Will and I are becoming dear friends....


Cheers


4.5 hrs

3 comments:

  1. My u-joints back there didn't have a zerk either and had a small brass screw that filled the hole. I asked Tony and he said to screw in a zerk and fill her up. I left the zerks in place and saved the brass screws because they were original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drew,
      Interesting, I don't think these had anything in the hole. I'll double check but I think someone forgot to install either the plug or zerk. Factory? doubt it but who knows?

      Delete
  2. The "permanent lubrication" U-Joints I have had had no hole to be filled, no way to put in a zerk. In future I'm going "permanent lubrication" all the way. Concept: design is good to keep the grease in there "forever"; practical result: never having to grease, and with a zerk unit you have these failing regularly anyway, how much worse could it be?

    ReplyDelete