Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Shocking....

Ok, not really shocking but just a shock.  Using my trusty spring compressor I took the springs off the old shocks today and cleaned up the springs and 'shield'  (new shocks don't come with this part or the lower spring mounting piece so don't throw them away thinking you'll have them in the new shock box or it will be shocking).  Many discussions have been had on JL about spring compressors and the dangers there-in.  This one is a HF special but it hold the spring very securely and I think is quite safe, just be careful because there is a lot of energy in the compressed spring.



Left side IRS components getting ready for paint

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I installed the new seals on the differential, put in the pinion seal and the 'O' rings on the output shafts (had already installed the seals on the output shafts).  

Some times I forget and wake up in a panic thinking did I tighten down those bolts or use locktight? Well this helps me with that (plus notes in RJ's notebook).

Painted pieces.
Reassembly of the IRS is starting, was going to paint the differential but it's really hard to tape it off so may just pass on that task?

Cheers


4hr

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Glyptal looks best when a little worn...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jerry, I agree ;-)
    Cheers,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree too. The diff is going to look just fine when all the other parts are assembled around it.

    ReplyDelete