Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Back in the Saddle again....

After a two week hiatus I'm back at it and hoping to get some movement on this project.  I received the new rotors from SNG and they fit! Turns out this was a transition car with the 4.2 style rotors instead of the 3.8 that one would have expected.  Spent a fair amount of time installing, removing and installing the rotors as it seemed like I had too much run-out on them.  I flipped them around 180 degrees and reduced the run out to an acceptable amount by doing that.  I think that the run out was related to the output flange on the differential rather than the rotors themselves and so "it is what it is".

Installed the rebuilt drive shaft (prop shaft for those of English decent) and made sure that the nuts are tight and secure with Nylocks and lock tight, they were loose when I disassembled it not to mention the U joints were shot and the engine or rear suspension have to be out to get to it.

Also got the new shocks prepared for installation by installing the spring on their perches.  A some what tedious job with a spring compressor that is slightly spooky since there is a lot of pent up (potential energy if I recall my basic Physics class) energy in those compressed springs.

Refurbished drive line with new paint, U joints and rubber sleeve 

Definition of 'potential' energy, compressed spring getting installed on the shock absorber

The rear drive unit with brakes, parking brakes installed, next step is putting it back in it's cage....

Should really make some progress tomorrow, the springs, shocks etc ready to go.

Cheers,


6 hrs

2 comments:

  1. That propshaft looks new. Much better looking than mine after I got it back from getting the U-joints replaced and it balanced. The pumpkin and brake calipers look great too. What kind of pads did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Drew,
      Thanks, I had the same shop cut down the propshaft for the Spitfire and they stood behind their work when I pointed out to them that it was too long. The pads are the ones that are supplied by SNG. Don't think they have any other markings but I'll let you know after I take a look at them. Cheers

      Delete