Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Weatherspripping

Couldn't think of a catchy title for todays post, put in the passengers seat and decided to get going on the weather stripping.  RJ's seals were likely original and as such hard and brittle having long since given up on the task they were originally intended for.  Turns out to be quite tedious, scraping out the old seals, cleaning the 'track' and installing the new ones.  Some of them fit into a track and getting them 'squished' into this track will likely result in hand cramps tonight.

Wanted to remember ho the old seals intersected here

Don't think this shows it very well but the seal in this 'B' 'pillar' is completely broken off.

To replace the seals on the door one has to remove the door to get at them.  Will have to fix the track on the front seal as the rivets missed the track and will need to be replaced.

This is the seal for the rear window and was dry and crispy, someone had tried to seal the window with Home Depot weather stripping

Messy job, right after I cleaned the interior-Oh well.

new quarter window seal, nice and soft but a bugger to wedge into the track


Tires continue to be problematic, local tire shop has suggested going to a larger tire as they are finding it hard to locate what we need.  I will likely suggest that we wait till we can get Vredsteins.

Cheers,


5.5 hrs

6 comments:

  1. I love my Vredesteins. They look good and perform well even at four years old now. When they are too old I will get new Vreds again and think they will back soon. Cousin Tony recommends them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Somebody on the (new) list commented that EuroTire claimed to have them available? Cheap too. Wider is a bad idea, and larger "standard" tires available are cheeseball level tires and light truck tires.

    Sympathy on the rubber seals. One hint is to caulk BEHIND the little tracks around the rear side windows, as when the car is washed water can stream in through there even with good seals. How do I know? ; -) I caulked there during the crash repair, no more leakage.

    Must be hard, doing all this work alone, on somebody else's car. Sympathy! But you are getting closer.

    I haven't seen you taking up your account on the new jag-lovers. Issues? It's really a lot better than the old one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments Guys, I think I'm going to call Bill at Eurotire today and see what the deal is on the Vreds (in a recent email he said they were backordered).

      Thanks for the tip on caulking, one side is in but will try it on the drivers side, what a PITA, any tips on getting it in the little track?

      I'm finding the new JL hard to adjust to, I tried to upload a picture and I still ran into the too big issue. Just an 'Old Dog' I guess.

      Cheers,
      Lynn

      Delete
  3. Lynn, the seal went into the track pretty easily for me, I don't recall any special tricks (nor any special hand pain). My seals were/are nice and spongy and so they slipped in without much trouble. Are yours stiffer?

    JL photos: you know they had a bug there that rejected photos larger than about 1M, but they fixed it and now the limit is 3M. I posted the photo of you and Emmy going through the tree, no worries. So far, everything on the new site is better than the old one...for me.

    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerry, where did you get your seals? The ones I'm using came from SNG and seem pretty spongy but getting it into the track is a challenge, I tuck one side in then come along and lever the other side into the track.
      Cheers,
      Lynn

      Delete
  4. Lynn, actually Images got them, not sure where.

    ReplyDelete