Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Interior

Today was interior day, kind of a break from the greasy work that I've been doing for the past 5 months ;-)  I started with making underlayment for the carpet/mats/hardura.  Originally the car would have had a jute product but I was able to find a product that worked as well from my favorite Auto Upholstery shop (Chip Knight). This should help with noise I hope,  on my car I used Koolmat but Michelle may want to wait on considering something like that till she decides that she likes RJ enough to spend the extra money.

Drew asked if it was hard to get the console out, frankly Drew I don't recall so I think it came out easily.  Going back in was slightly different though, I was on the verge of getting under the car to release the parking brake when it miraculously dropped into  place sorta like the fuel tank.  I did run into issues with the drop down access to the fuses though and no mater what I tried the panel would catch on the radio console.  I finely went with an option that I don't really like but had learned about on Jag Lovers which was to take out the middle two screws on the light panel and tap the ends for a couple of screws like the ones holding the panel in place (nice to have extra parts laying around) that can be easily removed allowing the identification strip to be easily removed and the panel opened. 
I finished up the day by putting some gunny sack material on the bottom of the drivers seat to keep the deteriorating foam from dropping onto the mat under the seat, installed the new seat belts and then the drivers seat.


felt in place of OEM jute

Console, center and radio in place. What a PITA trying to get them low enough to drop the center panel 

Seat and frame installed, seems like real progress

Had to bang out the floor pan, not as bad as the drivers side but years of nicompoops with floor jacks have left their toll.

Well that's it for today,
Cheers.


7.5 hrs




2 comments:

  1. Lynn, I have to release my parking brake to lift out my console. Is that pretty standard? I bet it feels good to have RJ moving about. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drew, No I don't think that is standard. On my cars I've been able to get the brake handle up enough that I could just barely lift it off over it. I have thought that releasing the pin back at the IRS would allow the handle to come up a few more notches making it easier but I haven't tried it thus far.
      My next step is to remove the door to replace the seals, clean up the car and get tire on it but tires are turning out to be problematic. Vredsteins are on back order, Universals are expensive and the local tire shop hasn't called me back... I need to tune the carbs and set the timing still too. Weather is going to get cold and will be busy with family very soon so...
      Thanks for the kind words,
      Cheers,
      Lynn

      Delete