Monday, August 8, 2016

Simple pleasures....

Well, today I was a little tired so decided to tackle a couple of 'easy' tasks.  The fuel tank is in and hooked up, I had talked to a very knowledgeable friend Saturday at the GOF who did not see any risk in using the rebuilt fuel pump.  He said that some cars i.e. Volvo use an unsealed intank pump that is cooled by the fuel, and that once there is gas in the tank the concentration of gas fumes make the tank non-flammable.  So I'll discuss this with Michelle and see how she feels about it.

Tank in with all the hoses and connection made

Spare from another era, it seems to be holding air but I wouldn't want to have to trust it.

Boot boards in place 


I decided that after I worked on the carbs this morning, the pistons didn't seem to drop at the same rate, I would tackle something fun and easy.  So down under the car I go to try to remove the bumper uprights that we had decided to replace.  Well naturally the captive nuts were frozen to the bolts and quickly tore out the captive part! 
The 'before' view, you'll have to check back to see the 'after'


The underside view with the visible head of the bolt that goes into the captive nut in the upright


After I had tried every thing I could think of I decided to bite the bullet and get the angle grinder out and cut an opening that would allow me to get to the 'captive' nut

The evil villain, after I cut it open a bit more I was able to clean the threads and work it loose 



Tomorrow I'll trial fit the new uprights

I'm trying to decide the next step, I think I'm going to work on the cooling system, new hoses 'flush the radiator and get the engine ready to see if it will run. So should probably order some radiator hoses for it because the current hoses are a lot like the spare tire, well beyond their use-by date.  On the other hand I might just pull the dizzy tomorrow, so you'll have to stay tuned.
Cheers

1 comment:

  1. I vote for external fuel pump, not sure I want to take any chances.....

    ReplyDelete