Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A Challenge....

Well, if it were easy it wouldn't be a challenge and the sense of satisfaction wouldn't be there.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;-)
I received the custom made battery hold down yesterday and decided to install it today.  It fits in the battery tray area but needed to be bolted down.  I decided that the best approach would be to weld a couple of nuts to the underside of tray to expedite the installation and if need be the removal of the holder.

Billet mount tray for Optima Battery

Holes drilled for mount

Nuts being welded to bottom of tray

Fresh paint

Optima mount installed

And now for the painful stuff, this was the 'easy' project that I had looked forward to as a 'break' from the cleaning and painting stuff of the previous week.  Instead of a break it has fought me every step, from removing the old beat up up-rights to the instalation of the new ones.   I should have known it was going to be a hassle because the ones on my car were a PITA too, but memory is short and bad memories tend to get brushed under the carpet/fog of memory.  The problem today is that the new overriders although well made have a slight angle to the captive nut that doesn't allow me to get the bolt started, and when it does it tries to cross thread.  So after spending the afternoon grinding and cutting I finally gave up and decided to sleep on it, so to speak, and see if I have a dream that will solve it for me.  I may have to remove the bumpers to attach them which means that the gas tank will have to come out again because Jaguar in it's infinite wisdom put the bolts behind the tank on that side.

Oh well, one way or another....

No comments:

Post a Comment