Thursday, July 28, 2016

If it's not one thing....

...it's another?  Well Drake picked up his car this morning and will be delivering it to his customer next week.  A very pretty car that seemed to be reasonably priced to sell.  
I replaced the temperature sender yesterday evening and was able to tell as soon as I turned on the switch that the temperature gauge was reading 'more' accurately than before.  Previously the gauge would go to the warm position with turning on the ignition, this time it stayed in the cold area of the gauge.  After test running the engine to make sure it didn't leak I noticed that the fans didn't come on,  What now? I'm thinking to myself. The fans worked with the AC on so I knew it wasn't the fans and then checked the wires to the 'otter' switch.  Even with the gauge reading at the 'L' position of normal the switch showed no continuity when it should be closed and have continuity.  So, if the temperature gauge is reading correct then the otter switch is defective too.  If I would have had time I would have drained the coolant and pulled the switch out and checked it in a pan of hot water.  It should close when the temperature reached 180F, unfortunately Drake needed to get the car off to the AC shop for a recharge and he will leave it for the next mechanic to sort out, as a temporary measure I jumped the 'otter' switch wires so that it wouldn't over heat.  Down side to this is that it will prolong the warm up on cold days, but better than 'toasting' the engine!

So I vacuumed the car out, topped off the fluids and sent it on it's way. It will be nice to get back to the '64 and get some work done on it after we clean up from having family here for the past 10 days.  Had my Sister here and will be sad to see her leave, but have some house projects to finish up on as well as Michelle's car so back to work I go...

  Notice the precise 'stamping' of the information, the originals usually look like the guy stamping it had a few to many beers on a hot afternoon.

Going, going,

Gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment