Sunday, July 10, 2016

Fuel pump

This car had an in-tank fuel pump that was complete gummed up necessitating that the pump be dismantled and re-wired.
As it came out of the tank, clogged with 'tar'

After a can of carb cleaner, ready to disassemble

Broken wire

Getting there, still clogged but pump cleaned
 The wires were quite brittle and this one may have broken during the disassembly however the brushes were worn beyond the point they would even stay in the brush holder.  At this point I was at a loss because they don't make a rebuild kit for this unit anymore however I remembered that I had some old S3 cooling fans and on the off chance I could use them I decided to check. Low and behold they were the same size.

'New' brushes  from old S3 cooling fan, same size brushes.

  Transferring the brushes and re-soldering the wires took a bit of time but the motor spins under power.  I don't have a picture of it yet but I sealed the case with a Halomar type sealant and expect that it will work better than before ;-) Since it didn't work that's a pretty low benchmark.  Even if it doesn't work I needed the pickup tube to draw fuel for an external pump so it needed to be cleaned out.
 The last photo is of the completed pump. Will have to figure out some way to test the pump, one concern is the bypass valve which seemed to be tight in its opening, possibly from the 'rubber' swelling as a result of ethanol containing fuel.
Completed pump,  Bypass valve may be problematic

No comments:

Post a Comment