Friday, December 2, 2016

TGIF

I thought I was going to get going on the left side today but ran into some other issues, a crack in the door that had to be welded up, a window that wouldn't go all the way up or all the way down (not much point to new seals if you can't wind the window up) and all the tasks in between point A and point B.
Something had happened here where the window track had been brazed resulting in poor fitment of the last screw seen to the right (cockeyed) and the spot welds were broken at the seem just to the right of the oblong hole.  

The area cleaned in preparation for welding, used a screw to clamp the pieces together.

Just a reminder of where the wires went since I was disconnecting the generator and regulator from their leads,  have heard that welding could damage those parts ( I think that was related to the possibility of burning out diodes in an alternator but since I wasn't sure...)

Removing the glass from the door so as to be able to get to the 'squeegee' window seal and to try to figure out why the window wouldn't roll all the way up.


Cleaned window winding mechanism, now lubricated as well.

Have no idea why I took this one, getting the window out was a challenge, was afraid the glass was going to break but after removing the window winder and the 4 nuts to the left of it was able to pull it all out with some wiggling on the way.

Welded up corner, installing the window and frame

Now ready to cover the door, what I thought I would be doing this morning. Fits much better, window rolls up and down, moves easily and the new seal fits much nicer (painted under the seal with touch up paint (close but not perfect and will get a color match for other touch ups-still much better than the white showing IMO)
Called Eurotire today and placed a back order for Vredstein tires. That's it for this week, have a great weekend!

Cheers,


8 hrs

5 comments:

  1. you are a very patient man.

    Good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry, appreciate the kind thoughts.
    Cheers,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to do all this to Ruby. It makes a huge difference in the winder function, the locking mechanism if it is lubed, and appearance. You are doing lots and lots of work. I'm digging up a portion of my back yard sprinkler system today, cutting it away and sealing off the supply pipes. I'd rather be working on Ruby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather poke a sharp stick in my eye than do what your doing ;-)
      I hope it makes a difference, I worked on the drivers side today and while it went well it still takes twice as long as you think it should.
      Temps have dropped here, was 8 last night but warmed up to a balmy 28....
      Cheers,
      Lynn

      Delete
  4. You don't like to dig through roots the size of your forearm? Don't want to get mud all over your shoes so that Mary gives you the look when you approach the back door? Don't want the good exercise from digging hole after hole trying to determine just what the heck they were doing when they buried everything? Fortunately I was able to avoid the surprise of an electric shock that might be the result of hitting a pipe with the valve activation wires laid on top of it.

    8? Good grief! Hope you have a heater in the garage. It might freeze here tonight. I get to cut and cap 4 water lines tomorrow. No water in them as I was able to shut that off today. I'm motivated though. This is the start of my garage addition.

    ReplyDelete