Friday, September 2, 2016

Long day, short post....

TGIF ;-)  Today was a little challenging because I decided to install the torsion bar on the drivers side but I'm getting ahead of myself.   I painted the shock, again they seem to be in pretty good shape and are fully adjustable with a turn of the knob.  Then I replaced the old steering rack mounts, they are what isolate the rack from the body of the car to reduce vibration into the steering wheel.  After 52 years it's time to check and replace, the one on the drivers side was beginning to separate.  Not life threatening but would make the steering very sloppy.  Like many reproduction parts they had to be fiddled with to make them work, at least we can get the parts.

This was when I decided I could attach the 'A' arms while I am waiting for the replacement part for the ball joint, hope that comes soon.  The A arm and bushings go on then the setting link is used to set the torsion bar, so far so good.  Got it set at just the right tension and was tightening it down when I realized I couldn't get the torsion bar to go into the 'A' arm far enough to put the holding pin in.  OK, now I'm thinking I know why they didn't put one in, they couldn't line it up.  Well, to make a long story shorter the end of the 'A'arm where the splines are was beat up and damaged so that the torsion bar splines wouldn't go through.  At this point I had no choice but to take it all back down, start over and file the female splines down to get the 'spurs' off.  Won't know till next week if it worked but at least on the bench I could get it to mate properly.

Just painting the shock

The steering rack mount with a screw driver in the split, it's made of two metal pieces bonded together with rubber.
Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment